Saturday, August 24, 2013

Sometimes, College is Like Middle School

Shuckin' and Shaggin' is the big, traditional opening event at Presbyterian College. It's the night when pretty much all of the upperclassmen are back on campus and it's also the grand finale of freshman orientation. However, every year, it never fails to be kind of awkward. Here's why: timidness.

The night before Shuckin' and Shaggin', the freshmen have the option to go to Shag lessons, where they learn the Carolina shag (for those of you who might be confused, the shag is something different in South Carolina than it is in, let's say, Great Britain) in preparation for the dance. Most people don't shag at Shuckin' and Shaggin' though, they actually swing dance. Luckily, there are informal swing dance lessons that lead up to the event.

Last year, there was a fair turnout for the informal swing lessons, so we expected a bigger group this year. For whatever reason, very few people showed this time.

Anyway, as you may have gathered, we're supposed to shag (dance) at Shuckin' and Shaggin' (hence Shaggin') and there are shucked oysters to eat as well.

The expectation of freshmen coming in is that all these people will be there dancing and asking you to dance. Negatory. The only people who dance are the ones that know each other. Even then, if you know someone, you've gotta have the gumption to go up to them and get them to dance with you. It's scary. But come on, we're in college now.

This is my third Shuckin' and Shaggin' and I only danced once. I can't say that I didn't have a good time, because I did. I had a great time seeing people again and so the event went by rather quickly. My one regret is that I didn't dance more.

The problem always seems to be that there are a surplus of females who want to dance and a lack of males willing (or at least outwardly willing).

I think what would surprise both genders is that the other one actually wants to dance with you! Life is too short not to go for it. If you get rejected, then eh, there are plenty of other ones who'd be more than willing to dance.

In my opinion, even if you don't know someone, it should be socially acceptable to ask another person to dance. Somehow, it kind of isn't anymore. It works in movies, but in real life it doesn't. We're just too nervous!

Well anyway, that's my piece about our dance tonight. I had a great time, but I did find the lack of dancing this year irksome. I really do think less people danced this year as a whole. It was kind of odd.

Thanks for reading and if you disagree or have something else to add, I'd love the dialogue!

No comments:

Post a Comment